Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Chapter 41

Tuesday, December 1, 1964


My first thought was to give my news to the county detectives, but connecting with them wasn't easy. I tried the phone, but they were never in. Asking them to call back wasn't going to work. I thought I might drive the Edsel to the Sheriff's office, but that was some trouble with the prospect of failure.


A better bet was to reach out to Chief Ziolkowski at Campus Security. I liked him. I didn't think he'd be able to help directly, but he might give me advice. 


It was a better bet. He was in the office
it must have been a slow day in the cold weather. He offered me a cup of coffee, which I accepted, and sat down across from his desk. I told him what we had learned. 

"You haven't learned it for sure," he said. "You just think you know."


"True," I said, "but it's a good bet that we know the who and the motive."


"But you don't know whether this works in Dave Johnson's favor."


"No I don't," I said. "Odds are it doesn't help him. But this should help us find the truth."


"Some truth. Let's say you find out
somehowthat this Guilfoyle Kelly woman instigated the threatening note. Even then, you don't know that the note is connected to the poisoning." 

"I understand, but isn't it worth pursuing?"


"I'll say this. On your part, you should let the detectives know. But that's the end of it. It's up to the detectives to decide what to do with the information, but ..." He paused.


"But?"


"But don't hold your breath."


"Right now, the problem is that I can't reach them."


"I'll tell you what. You contacted me, which is a reasonable step. I'll pass on your information to them. After that ..." He paused again. 


"After that?"


"Don't hold your breath."

No comments:

Post a Comment